North Laine History
On the eastern side of Robert Street is a long row of three storey terraced houses built from the mid 1830s with full development by 1851, in the middle is what once was the Jireh Calvinistic Baptist Chapel, which opened in 1846. It later (1902) became the Central Auction Room, then a bedding manufacturer and upholsterer and in 1998 was converted into flats.
Along the whole of the western side of the street, is what was once the Argus newspaper building, known now as Argus Lofts. Southern Publishing appears on the Robert Street site in 1915 and printing moved there in 1926 where it stayed until 1992 when the Argus opened its new headquarters in Hollingbury.
The former Jireh Chapel is at 16-